Stronger foundations that strategically invest capacity building resources give rise to more effective nonprofit organizations; this leads to stronger programs and ultimately, greater impact in the community. Beyond the CCAT assessment, TCC Group offers capacity building services that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of all nonprofits, and ready all social sector actors to work together to solve the most pressing issues confronting their community. Our capacity building services for funders, nonprofits, and cohorts of organizations include:
Capacity Building Learning Communities
Capacity Building Learning Communities foster an open and sustainable culture of collaboration built on the engagement of multiple social sector players; this results in higher levels of capacity for all. Community resources are most effectively distributed, and impact most powerfully enhanced when funders collectively engage all stakeholders in determining for what they need to build capacity; for whom capacity needs to be built; and how that can most effectively occur. Our work in collaborative capacity building design benefits groups that share a common issue-area focus or regional proximity; plus funders, companies, and government agencies interested in building capacity of their entire ecosystem.
Outcomes for Nonprofits, Foundations, and the Local Sector:
- Increased ability to share and leverage local capacity building resources
- A defined capacity building strategy to support a grant portfolio
- Shared understanding of available resources and gaps in services
- Increased understanding of strengths and needs in grant portfolio, including ways to
“cluster” organizations based on shared needs
- An investment approach that maximizes resources and impact of grantees
- Increased partnership and community ownership of capacity building to bolster local capacity building offerings
Capacity Building Initiative Design
In order for capacity building support to lead to real organizational change, it must be long-term and aligned with the program goals of both the foundation and its grantee partners. Efforts that involve reassessment and restructuring of nonprofit resources, strategic planning, and/or Board and staff development are time- and resource-intensive endeavors. TCC Group is an expert at working with foundations to design capacity building initiatives that lead to actionable, sustained social sector change.
Outcomes for Nonprofits and Foundations:
- Capacity building learning curriculum tailored to nonprofit needs, future
- Increased ability to design capacity building investments based on nonprofit needs
- A tailored and targeted phased approach to move grant partners toward core cohorts
- Increased ability to offer capacity building guidance to nonprofits
- A system to gauge organizational readiness and buy-in
- Increased likelihood that capacity building investments will lead to real and sustained change on the part of grantees
Targeting Change (Nonprofit Capacity Assessment + Interpretation + Action)
Used by more than 5,000 nonprofits, the Core Capacity Assessment Tool (CCAT) is the leading assessment tool for measuring nonprofit effectiveness in relation to four core capacities – leadership, adaptability, management, and technical – as well as organizational culture. Nonprofits identify their lifecycle stage, receive a real-time findings report, and create a prioritized capacity building plan.
CCAT interpretation sessions include a facilitated conversation with all who have taken the CCAT, led by a skilled TCC consultant; CCAT survey results are analyzed and discussed, so your organization’s leadership is able to deepen its understanding of the CCAT findings, prioritize its most urgent needs, and develop a personalized action plan based on results. Interpretations can be provided to clusters of nonprofits exhibiting similar levels of capacity building readiness, those at the same life cycle stage, or to individual nonprofits.
Outcomes for Nonprofits and Foundations:
- Tailored and targeted capacity building plans
- Data to help articulate nonprofit needs and marshal resources
- Greater awareness of nonprofit capacity building needs, priorities for organizational development